Skip to main content

Intro Time

Hey readers,
I am Jake Topham, friends call me Jakey-T (sometimes). I hail from the small town of Paragonah, Utah, and I am not ashamed to admit that there are more dogs than people in my hometown. I attended Parowan High School which was about 5 miles away from home, and I was a student-athlete. I was an all-state football and baseball player, drummer, and yo-yoer.  After high school I left home for 2 years and went to Montana to serve my church (LDS) and since returning in August of 2016 I have been married, and began attending Southern Utah University. I am in a Sports Communication class that is going to teach me many different theories and concepts relating to communication in sports. That is what I intend to post a lot about in this blog. I really love sports, and they have changed my life for many different reasons, now I get to learn why they did! Come back each Thursday for weekly post where I will tell you about what I learned and apply it to a major sports story. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your feedback! If you have anything you would like me to talk about you can let me know, I would love it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legislation is going "Fantasy"

The image of a "fan", which is simply an abbreviation of the word "fanatic" , used to look like this picture above.  Becoming more prevalent each year in the world of sports is the mode of fandom termed "Fantasy Leagues".  Any sports fan will know what this is, and maybe even what the new fantasy fan may look like! The truth is that this is what the sports fan is turning into.  But it may come with a cost! That is one reason why so many states are now considering how appropriate it is for fantasy sports team owners to bet on their fantasy teams, or for leagues to require a fee upon entering into a draft.  There are four commonly acknowledged types of fantasy fans that have been identified. Statistical enthusiasts, fan-first, homers, and social players. These will not be described in detail, but it will suffice to say that these are all based on satisfying an individuals various needs through fantasy sports league play. I would ...

More Than "Just an Athlete"

One thing that I have always loved about sports is the great life lessons that can be learned while engaging myself in them.  It is my personal opinion that this is the reason why people should take sports seriously.  Not for the winning itself, but for the mental and emotional resilience gained through battling against adversity in the sporting environment.  Setting sports aside, there are many ways to come to know how to deal with lives predicaments and still “keep your head in the game”. Tim Tebow is one who seems to have this game of life figured out.  He has managed to not only keep his family tradition of spirituality alive in his own life, but has made it one of his most conspicuous characteristics in the mosaic of his personality.  From motivational and key note speaking, to writing books, to traveling around the world performing service projects in third world countries— Tim Tebow undoubtedly has his eyes set on the big picture. Tim Tebow u...

Super Teams

The question that seems to be injected into every single sports debate following the 2017 NBA Finals is whether or not the “super-team” trend is hurting or helping the NBA.  From what used to be a funny trick to play on your friends while playing video games has become a reality in that there are teams who are STACKED with talent . This year, Kevin Durant and Andre Igoudala joined Klay Thompson, Stephen Curry, Draymon Greene and the rest of the Golden State Warriors with the result of an NBA Title.  A few years back, Lebron James left Cleveland to join Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and Ray Allen on the Miami Heat.  That team also won a pair of titles. More and more often there are superstars joining superstars, going “title-chasing”, and that is where it hits the fan.  Is this good? Is this bad?  What if a team doesn’t have money to afford to pay these players, should they just pack up and go home?  Is this just a fad? Or is this going to be the new norm? T...