Skip to main content

The Perfect Mitt

When I turned fourteen my mother took me to the local Hill Sports sporting goods store.  She told me that I could pick out whatever baseball mitt I wanted, and my eyes immediately shot to the top shelf where all of the most expensive baseball mitts were on display.  I had been researching the best leathers, styles, and sizes of mitts for a few weeks and I knew the exact one I wanted the moment my gaze landed on it. The Nokona AMG 1150, a.k.a. "The American Glove".  Not daring to take any of the tags off for a few weeks, I began to break in the mitt exactly how I wanted it to work.  I drilled a hole into an old baseball and stuck the longest screwdriver my dad had right into it so that I could start pounding and softening the leather.  I had the nicest glove leather conditioner I could find and spread the sweet smelling ointment over ever bit of the surface of the glove.  Next, I would place two baseballs in a specific spot and let it sit all night.  In the morning I would wake up, wipe off the excess leather treatment, and start the process over again.  Now, almost eight years later, I still have the perfect mitt.


Image result for nokona amg 1150

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legislation is going "Fantasy"

The image of a "fan", which is simply an abbreviation of the word "fanatic" , used to look like this picture above.  Becoming more prevalent each year in the world of sports is the mode of fandom termed "Fantasy Leagues".  Any sports fan will know what this is, and maybe even what the new fantasy fan may look like! The truth is that this is what the sports fan is turning into.  But it may come with a cost! That is one reason why so many states are now considering how appropriate it is for fantasy sports team owners to bet on their fantasy teams, or for leagues to require a fee upon entering into a draft.  There are four commonly acknowledged types of fantasy fans that have been identified. Statistical enthusiasts, fan-first, homers, and social players. These will not be described in detail, but it will suffice to say that these are all based on satisfying an individuals various needs through fantasy sports league play. I would ...

More Than "Just an Athlete"

One thing that I have always loved about sports is the great life lessons that can be learned while engaging myself in them.  It is my personal opinion that this is the reason why people should take sports seriously.  Not for the winning itself, but for the mental and emotional resilience gained through battling against adversity in the sporting environment.  Setting sports aside, there are many ways to come to know how to deal with lives predicaments and still “keep your head in the game”. Tim Tebow is one who seems to have this game of life figured out.  He has managed to not only keep his family tradition of spirituality alive in his own life, but has made it one of his most conspicuous characteristics in the mosaic of his personality.  From motivational and key note speaking, to writing books, to traveling around the world performing service projects in third world countries— Tim Tebow undoubtedly has his eyes set on the big picture. Tim Tebow u...

Opportunity

High school can be some of the best, and some of the worst times in a person’s life.   Sometimes it is both!   But one thing that ought to come to everybody’s mind when they hear about high school is opportunity .   All too often there are people who miss this, who overlook it, who take it for granted and who mistake it for a burden.   Not often enough, however, is this great stage of opportunity capitalized upon, and turned into a spring-board to catapult one into something bigger and better than themselves.   That is exactly what Southern Utah University Volleyball player, Rylee Rogers, has done for herself. When asked what motivated her to go from being a high school athlete to a college athlete, she claimed that it was the motivation and inspiration given by her mother.   “She always taught me to be a team player.   She taught me to make sure that the team looks good before you make yourself look good.   I feel like that might be lost t...